- Life Lessons Through Literacy for Incarcerated Teens
July 6, 2016
- Harlem Inspired Artist Creates Literacy For Incarcerated Teens
June 6, 2016
- Literacy for Incarcerated Teens invites you to bid in our charity auction
June 2, 2016
- Literacy for Incarcerated Teens and Galinsky Coaching Fundraiser/Auction
May 7, 2016
The auction goes live on June 1 and will be updated continually as it runs through the beginning of August. You can make a monetary donation now by clicking here.
- Programming Spotlight: Fly at the New Victory Theater
March 23, 2016
Last week, students in the Lutheran group attended a performance of Fly at the New Victory Theater. The play dramatizes the story of the Tuskegee Airmen and cleverly includes a dance griot, a role filled by the extraordinary Omar Edwards. New Victory Teaching Artists Chad Beckim and Janet Onyenucheya, remarkable artists in their own right, visited the following day to debrief with the students, who turned out to be full of questions about stagecraft, military service, and world politics. Many thanks to Literacy for Incarcerated Teens for crucial funding that made this trip possible, and The New Victory Theater for providing us with access to this extremely worthwhile show.
- NATIONAL YOUTH JUSTICE AWARENESS MONTH, 2015
September 30, 2015
The Campaign For Youth Justice is happy to share the following news from the White House as Youth Justice Awareness Month Kicks off tomorrow!
- Programming Spotlight: Paul Griffin Visits Crossroads
March 10, 2015
Yesterday, author Paul Griffin visited two classes at Passages Academy – Crossroads. He spoke with students about his life and career, answered questions about his books (Ten Mile River, Orange Houses, Stay With Me, and Burning Blue), and worked with students on telling “the best story in the world” – their own. Each student received a gift copy of Ten Mile River, graciously provided by Literacy for Incarcerated Teens, which Paul personalized. Said one student, holding his book, “I need to read books; books keep me going.” We are indebted to Paul for writing the books that keep our students going. –Regan Schwartz
- Why keeping young offenders out of jail could reduce crime
PBS Newshour, January 29, 2015
- Some Parents Live With Their Children. Some Are In A Cage. Here’s A Way Those Kids Can Feel Loved.
- Kids and Jails, a Bad Combination
NEW YORK TIMES, December 28, 2014
- Do a great read: Bid on books owned by Jimmy Kimmel, Philip Seymour Hoffman and other celebs for a good cause
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, December 17, 2014